Re: Basic questions

From: andy levy (andylevy@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Oct 08 2002 - 07:04:53 EDT

Valentin Garcia wrote:
> 1. How long should I let my Dak "warm up" before driving?

I normally get in and go. In the winter I'lll let it run a couple
minutes while I scrape the ice & snow off. In a deep freeze I'll give
it 5 minutes or more.

> 2. Is it normal for tires (goodyear 255/65r17) to lose a few lbs. of air
> pressure over a period of time (a month) with daily use (8 miles one way) ?

Shouldn't be happening. Make sure your valves are good (they can be
replaced cheap, parts & tool at any car parts store, under $5). Make
sure it's also not because of air temperature; every 10 degrees F the
tem drops, your air pressure will drop 1 PSI.

> 3. Should I follow the recommended psi that is on the sidewall of my tires?

That's the maximum *rated* pressure. Run that pressure all the time and
you're overinflated. Your Dak should have a small leaflet in the packet
with the owner's manual listing tire sizes & recommended pressure.

> 4. Why do non-Dak owners always want to race me ;-)?

They think a truck is an easy kill.