Re: Gen III 15x8 On A Gen II

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Oct 14 2002 - 16:04:27 EDT

B1LLYW@aol.com wrote:

: Will the Gen III 15x8 rims fit on a Gen II truck? I'd like to put a set on
: my '95. I know bolt pattern is the same but what about backspacing?

  Bill,

  There was a discussion about this back in July or so, you might want to
check the archives for additional info, but here is the short version...
(I am planning on putting Gen III 15x8s on my '96)

  They will fit, but in the front you will need at least a 1/4" spacer,
and you will also need to grind down a portion of the upper A arm (at
the rear) to prevent the wheel from hitting it at full lock. You will
also need to to some massaging to get the center caps to fit. The
problem there is that the grease caps protrude too far in the front
and don't let the caps sit down far enough to lock onto the wheel. I
am hoping that a combination of grinding on the grease cap and the
back of the center cap will be enough, but I haven't tried it yet.
In the rear, you might be able to get away without using the spacers
because there aren't the same clearance problems as in the front, but
the inside of the wheel might need to be ground a bit as the hub is
just a tad too wide to let the wheel seat down all the way if not using
a spacer. (Again, I haven't tried it yet, just my initial impressions.
I did try to put a wheel on without a spacer, and it didn't seat down
all the way - I am only assuming when I say that grinding the inside of
the wheel might fix the problem. It does fit fine with a spacer though.)

  Note that when using the spacers, you will have less thread engagement
on the lug nuts. I have a set of special lug nuts which Jeff Durling
was kind enough to send me which "reach" down into the hole to grab more
thread. Unfortunately, the company that made these is no longer in
business. Another alternative is to get longer studs. Mopar Performance
is a source for these, but they have a slightly larger diameter so you
need to do some drilling before you can seat them in place.

   I've already got everything I need except for the tires themselves,
which I am planning to get in the spring. I'll probably play with the
fitment and such over the winter if I get some time. As far as I know,
there is no commercial source for the wheel spacers, if you have access
to a machine shop, you may be able to get some made for you. A few
people have asked me about this, and if there is enough interest, I could
check into having some spacers made up (out of stainless steel, probably),
and offer them via Steiger Performance or something. (Although I do
wonder about the potential liability of such a product...)

  Anyway, let me know if I can be of any further help!

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -----. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '70 Barracuda, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly | `----------------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'