2003 Hemi Ram test drive

From: Saint (saint1958@cox.net)
Date: Sat Oct 19 2002 - 23:23:35 EDT

Well, I finally managed to test drive the new Ram 5.7 Hemi with the 5-speed
M/T that the wife ordered. I am deeply impressed when I burn the tires in
first gear (since the rep told me to do it)....DAMNNNN! Talk about real
power. MAN! If anyone gets the opportunity even though there is now a
shortage of hemi motors - back logged until the December, tests drive the
truck with the Hemi and M/T and fell the difference. However, working on
the engine is a lot harder than previously Dodges. The engine is recessed
into the firewall under the hood cowl. Two Hemi cladded stickers on the
fenders only but needed one on the rear tail gate.

The tranny was smooth and quick with the exception of trying to find the
fifth gear. You can rest your arm on the arm rest and comfortable hold the
stick. With the 4.10:1 rear gears, it was easy for the 5600 LB truck to
maneuver on city streets, freeways on ramps, and do burn outs.

The rides over the Californian freeways were much smoother than my previous
Dakota. None of the up and down when crosses each block of freeway cement.
The steering is a vast improvement over any previous truck. The new Ram
steering was very precise and never wandered. You can feel the truck and the
road while talking or looking away.

The Quad was very roomy especially my fat butt. The seating of six is made
easy over the previous Quad Dakota. The seats are powered, pedals are
powdered for the small woman, and the seats since leather come heated with a
adjustable lumber.

The stereo is a lot better than previous Dodges with added woofer. It
sounded more richer and crisp.

The wheel sucks though, an eight 17-inch lug with Michelins. Not good for
my taste of driving and cornering.

This was a short bed, since she wanted the towing capabilities.

The only fauylt I found is the stupid CLEARANCE LAMPS on the roof. What in
the blazing hell was that, I asked. I don't think the woman is going to
like that. She is not that type of trucker. HAHAHHAHAHA I asked the
salesman's if he could remove them and capped the holes. He responded we
can ask but may have too order another truck (they have two more coming-only
could get three of the 2500 Hemi with five-speeds).

Forget about changing the rims for a twenty-inch. I cannot see an after
market rim that produces in the 8-lug range.

Anyway, I think she going to laugh when she sees the lamps on top of the
roof.
Steven St.Laurent
2003 Dodge 2500 Quad Ram Hemi 5.7 (Oct 20)
2000 Dodge Dakota Hemi 4.7 (Some idot hit the vehicle)
2000 Roush Ford Mustang (1 of 2 beta vehicles)
1999 Chevy Astro (A.K.A. GM Junk) soon to be a cruiser
1993 Geo Tracker (Amazing vehicle that keeps running)
PROJECT CAR:
1992 Suzuki Swift Haybusa GT (fastest stock sub-compact at 200HP/1775lb
vehicle)

Future Purchases:
2000(?) Dodge Truck (next project vehicle)
2004 Dodge Ram SRT-10 with a V-10 (replace the Tracker)