Spark Plugs/wires WAS:Tuned Up

From: Kevin Sellstrom (ksellstr@softcom.net)
Date: Mon Oct 28 2002 - 22:01:04 EST

Speaking of plugs...I just changed the plugs on my '99 5.2L. At 32k miles,
I expected to see OEM plugs...WRONG. Someone had put in Bosch Platinums (at
least they were the correct Bosch # for the truck). It was a grandma's
truck, so she probably got a cheapo tune-up somewhere and figured the
better plugs would be better...or the counter guy milked her for a few more
$$$. Anyway, they were likely in there for less than 20k miles but had
completely eroded the center conductor down inside the insulator, leaving a
.050 gap to the INSULATOR! No wonder the truck stumbled at idle. The
Platinum plugs seemed to have an extremely small conductor, maybe 1/4 the
physical size of the Champion coppers that replaced them.

I've always had good luck with Champions in my Mopars (which would appear
to be Chrysler's opinion as they STILL spec them), but it's been more than
difficult to find the Champion copper plugs locally except at the dealer.

Why is it that everyone likes the Autolite's? What kind of improvements do
they give?

While I was at it, I managed to tear the end off one of the Mopar plug
wires...time for new/better ones. what have people had good experience
with? MSD (who only sell a universal set for these engines), Mopar
Performance, etc?