Re: RE: Towing info?

From: srp@cox.net
Date: Tue Oct 29 2002 - 10:43:42 EST

FYI-- When I had my '95 SLT, 5 speed with the 5.2L-- I towed my buddies '21 Ultra21LX jetboat to the Colorado River. The boat/trailer weighed in at 4500# (that'a Arizona Marine 502 engine, 2 full tanks of gas, cooler full of Capt Morgan and Ice (forget the coke!) HEAVY). At first, I was a little leary of pulling it-- Though the truck was rated to 6500#, it seemed to be a lot. Well-- After 5 round trips to the river from San Diego (400+ each trip), with a 13 mile 6% grade down into the desert, and the big climb back on Sundays... I was COMPLETELY impressed with the performance. The trailer was equipped with DISC brakes w/surge brake tongue. Was VERY smooth, and quite frankly, -- I could stop quicker pulling this boat than I could the truck by itself. Yes a jetboat has a much smaller frontal area than a travel trailer, and that equates to much less wind resistance-- BUT-- on level ground, in 4th gear (that's Drive for the auto guys)-- I ran at 65 mph, pulling about 3400 rpm--- Got 13.45 mpg overall, i
ncluding the pull through the mountains in 3rd gear running about 45 mph--- I got better mileage than my buddies 460 Ford when EMPTY-- and was able to pull every grade faster than his 460 Ford. He was very impressed.

Since then I have towed a '72 Dart on a flat car trailer-- probably 4800# with my wife's 99 Dakota 4x4 Sport CC, with 3.55 gearing (auto)... I have the electric brake controller-- and my stopped is excellent. For you people who know So. Cal... I pulled the grapevine from Bakersfield to Magic Mountain-- 45 mph in 2nd gear up the 'vine'... and could have gone FASTER, but the RPMs in the 3500 rpm range made me want to keep it conservative. On the flat from San Jose to Bakersfield I ran 65 mph, in drive, turning 3000 rpm for hours on end... Got 13.5 mpg (seemed to match my '95 mpg).

The Dakota is a very capable towing vehicle, as long as you keep it within the limits--- plus adjust your driving style to 'towing' mode... Drive slower, brake sooner... stop more often for fuel. That's about it.

Sam
'91 LE 5.2 CC
'95 SLT 5.2 CC
'99 4x4 Sport 5.2 CC