Tire size - speedometer recalibration

From: Korey Atterberry (korey99@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Nov 06 2002 - 23:14:45 EST

Hey all-

  I'm looking to replace my 255/65/15's with 30x9.5x15 BFG AT KO's, and
my concern is that my odometer/speedometer, etc. will be off. The
stock tires are 28" tall, and the 30's are actually 29.5", so I'm
looking at a 5% difference. BTW - I drive a 2000 2WD.

  My concern is that I'll have problems when I go to sell the truck for
the odometer misreporting. Is there a "legal" limit? 5% too much?

  I called three different dealerships. One didn't know the first
number in P-metric tire sizes means the width, the second thought 1/4"
difference in height would cause a 5mph difference, and the third
didn't know the Dakota was sold with the 255/65/15's. Needless to say,
none of them could tell me if 5% was too much out of spec, and if it
were, whether a computer flash was required (or available) or if I
needed to change the speedo gear.

  I've also heard going up a size or two can cause problems with the
ABS computer, but I don't really see how, since I'm getting a set of 4.
 I kinda figured the truck's computer would just figure that I'm
driving a little slower and hauling a little more load and adjust
accordingly.

Any thoughts,
Korey