RE: Bleeding The Brake Lines

From: John Neff (jndneff@texas.net)
Date: Thu Nov 14 2002 - 15:48:40 EST

>You can use a turkey baster to remove the fluid in the master
>cylinder...then, refill it with clean/new brake fluid. This way, you
>already get somewhat of a cleaning.

I thought about doing this, but the light available in my garage prevented
me from seeing exactly how much fluid I had removed. I didn't want to drain
it to the point of allowing air into the lower passeges.

>Here's the procedure on the two
>different ABS systems.

>If you have Rear Wheel ABS:
>Bleed only one brake component at a time in the following sequence:

>Master Cylinder
>Combination Valve
>Rear Antilock Valve
>Left Rear Wheel
>Right Rear Wheel
>Right Front Wheel
>Left Front Wheel

>If you have Four Wheel ABS:
>ABS system bleeding requires conventional bleeding methods plus use of
>the DRB scan tool. The procedure involves performing a base brake
>bleeding, followed by use of the scan tool to cycle and bleed the HCU
>pump and solenoids. A second base brake bleeding procedure is then
>required to remove any air remaining in the system.

That is correct if you're bleeding a system with air in it. But if you just
want to flush the old fluid, there's no need to do anything other than pull
the fluid through the system with a vacuum pump.

John