Re: Need advice on big road trip

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Nov 24 2002 - 19:36:54 EST

Jason Bleazard wrote:

> Okay, so Norah and I are in the planning stages of our road trip to Utah
> over Christmas. I'm looking for any hints or advice that will help make
> the trip go smoothly. We're just going to drive straight through,
> taking turns driving and napping to try to get there as quickly as
> possible. Yes, we're probably insane for wanting to drive that far, but
> we're both really sick of airline travel. Plus, have you seen the
> ticket prices to fly out of Toronto around Christmas time???
>
> Anyway, I think we've covered all of the general stuff (got the maps,
> blankets, lots of coffee, etc.) What I'm wondering is specific
> information about our possible routes. What's the weather usually
> like? Any good routes to stay away from? Is there fuel available 24
> hours / day? Ongoing construction? Known speedtraps? Stuff like that.
>
> I've identified three possible routes that we can take to go from
> Toronto to Salt Lake City:
>
> 1. I-80 (because it's the shortest)
> 2. I-70 (because it's further south and might have better weather
> 3. I-80 to I-76, then I-76 to Denver, then I-70 (because it avoids the
> worst part of I-80 through WY)
>
> I can post more detailed route info if anyone is interested.
>
> I'd like to hear from anyone who lives close to these routes, or who has
> traveled them enough to have anything that might be useful. I've done
> I-80 going from SLC -> Toronto once, but it was in July '97 and the
> biggest lesson I learned was to buy air conditioning on all future
> vehicles :-).
>
> Thanks in advance.

Hi Jason - - well heres what I can tell you.

I don't know about I-80...I know that stretch of 80/94 through Gary was
under construction but I can't remember if its finished now. I would
bet on 80 through the Indina/Chicago area to be a traffic problem. I
wish I could tell you that its lighter during certain times of the day -
but its pretty unpredictable. Worst times are 4-6 pm Monday through
friday. Holiday traffic will only add to it.

If it was me I would stay away from I-80. Or at least pick it up west
of Chicago.

As I encountered on my way out the Daktoberfest... keep yer radar
detector and your CB on all through Ohio and Indiana. The troopers
through there are brutal about speed control. Counted over a dozen
bears just on the way out there through Ohio.

I would go with your 2nd option I70... it is further south - temps will
be generally warmer... and you bypass, in my opinion, some nasty
situations on I-80. I can only give you my opinion based on roads east
of Chicago. I have never been on any road west of Chciago. Hope this
helped!

--

"It's a living thing... It breathes, it eats, ...and it hates..."

Silver '89 Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x2 Silver '89 Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x4 w plow - (aka Granpa)

AIM Screen name: SilverEightynine Yahoo Messenger: SilverEightynine

DML Profile URL: http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/LkxxVw49jp7dU/