Re: RE: Warped Brake Rotors....Fact or Myth?

From: Mark (Gilpin.MCKnospam@lycos.com)
Date: Mon Nov 25 2002 - 17:49:33 EST

It's not build-up, it's where the harder ceminite has not worn as much as
the softer iron. Most (all) people don't bring their cars in as soon as the
they start to feel a pulse. They drive it for awhile, creating heat at the
point of build-up, "cooking" the iron to the point that ceminite forms. Then
they keep driving until it's so bad they can't stand it any more, all the
while the base iron keeps wearing at a normal rate while the ceminite does
not. And I use that break-in every time I put new rotors on. I have never
had a set cut. If broken in properly, a set of rotors will last until they
are at the wear limit. I drive my Dak pretty hard. The first set of rotors
were .035 away from the wear limit at 39,000 miles. I put a new set on,
broke them in in almost the same fashion described, and at 64,000 they are
still just fine. No pulse, nice and smooth. On a final note, that article
has nothing to do with vented or slotted rotors. The vents/slots can help
prevent some of what he was talking about, but you still have to take a
little care when driving hard. Opinion finished.

Mark