RE: Warped Brake Rotors....Fact or Myth?

From: DakotaJohn (jkp61@horizonview.net)
Date: Mon Nov 25 2002 - 10:16:18 EST

 A very interesting article, but is it just his opinion, everyone has one
and sometimes the opinion rule applies!
  I don't really believe that rotors don't warp, because I have turned
several in my time at garages and parts stores. When they are mounted to the
lathe and the bits are only hitting in certain spots, opposite front and
back, I find it hard to believe that is just build-up. The brakes get very
hot, especially when people ride them and when they are that hot and
improperly cooled (rain, water puddles, etc.) it seems that anything could
happen. I don't doubt his break-in procedure could work, I don't know. I
know that turning them doesn't always work, since when you take more metal
off, they get hot quicker, kind of a double-edged sword.
  I know when I bought my 2K it had 19K miles on it and the rotors were
trashed, bad vibration. The dealer put new rotors on, but left the old
hardened, rusty pads. I didn't find this out til about 3K miles later when
my brakes were squealing like banshees and the dust was terrible. First I
got the only pads Advance had for the 2K and had the rotors turned, it
lasted 250miles, they were squealing and dusting already! So I took them
back and turned the rotors again(one had hard spots already!) this time
buying Wagner premium brake pads from the parts store that turned the rotors
AND adjusted the back brakes. So far, knock on wood, everything has been
fine, except for the right rear brake groan has gotten louder when I come to
a complete stop! But the front are doing real well, very little dust, no
noise or vibration, just how long will it last? That's my experience, John