Re: Re: DML Support and Calandar (rant)

From: andy levy (andylevy@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Nov 26 2002 - 00:34:54 EST

Punch wrote:
> 2 things here, he will not accept didgital pictures only 35mm, also the
> exchange rate for one of these calenders to send to canada is just stupid.
> ( have a 2002, cost me about $40.00cdn!

Jon has explained why he doesn't accept digital photos. The pictures
are printed at 8x10 and unless you run a 3MP camera at its highest
quality setting, the printed picture isn't good enough for the product
Jon wants to put out. The scanned photos run over 20MB each as I recall.

>>With around 1000 members...
>

> sure there is, time for a re-count, people come and go and don't delete
> there membership info etc...

Current guess on the DML homepage is 891 members. This is counted (I
think) using the number of subscribed email addresses. Seeing as how you
have to confirm your subscription request, that will cancel out the
people "who didn't know they got signed up." Anyone can go back to the
archives and count up the unique email addresses that have posted this
year if you want (just takes a download of each month then a quick
script to count).

>>I dunno about anyone else - but in the last year or so I have noticed a
>>large drop in group participation. Seems just the regulars are active
>>anymore. The DML Meet report page shows this trend well. So far this
>>year there was only one meet report posted! From 1999 to 2002 there was
>>a steady drop in meet reports being posted.
>

> thats the webmaster not updating the page.

Quick show of hands...of the folks doing meets this year, how many
submitted meet reports? The page can't be updated if there's no content
to post. I know we haven't submitted one for Foxwoods since 1999, I'm
pretty sure we didn't have one for Mopars @ the Valley in '01 and '00,
same with Carlisle '01. In a lot of cases people have posted pictures,
etc. to their own web space. Meet reports can be a big chore to put
together (I'm relieved Tom took the lead on BBQ '02's, the only way I
had time for BBQ '01's is by getting stuck in ORD on a hellish layover)
- if folks just submitted a group picture from each one I think you'd
see a lot more posted up there.