Re: Re: DML Support and Calandar (rant)

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue Nov 26 2002 - 16:52:52 EST

andy levy <andylevy@yahoo.com> wrote:

:>>With around 1000 members...
:>
:> sure there is, time for a re-count, people come and go and don't delete
:> there membership info etc...

: Current guess on the DML homepage is 891 members. This is counted (I
: think) using the number of subscribed email addresses. Seeing as how you
: have to confirm your subscription request, that will cancel out the
: people "who didn't know they got signed up." Anyone can go back to the
: archives and count up the unique email addresses that have posted this
: year if you want (just takes a download of each month then a quick
: script to count).

   Yep, it counts the subscribed addresses, and looks at the news server
logs to come up with a rough estimation of the number of folks who are
using that version of the list (since they are not usually subscribed
to the e-mail version of the list). That's why its a rough guess,
because of the calculations of the newsgroup users.

   Your post gave me another idea though - I should add another counter,
which would look at the actual DML messages (go back maybe 1-2 months)
and count the number of DMLers who are actively posting, and add that to
the page too. Could be an interesting statistic.

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ------. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder 1400, 96 FireFly | `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'