Re: Warped Brake Rotors....Fact or Myth?

From: Mark (Gilpin.MCKnospam@lycos.com)
Date: Tue Nov 26 2002 - 08:32:26 EST

So what's on your resume. It's sounds like this guy can hop-up on the whole
box of fruit loops and still have forgotten more than most of the people on
this list will ever know about brakes. If you have rotors that that have
been changed at a molecular level by heat, changing the properties for the
base iron to a harder material (cemenite), that does not wear at the same
rate as the original material, and after a few thousand miles check the
surface with a dial indicator, what will you see? You'll see a variation in
the surface height (relative to the point of the indicator). Is this
warpage? No. It's uneven wear of the surface of the rotor. If you cut this
rotor, will the surface again be true? Yes. Will it stay true? No. The
reason, The change in the properties of the iron in the location of the
previous uneven heat exposure goes deeper than the amount of material
removed in the machining process. So as the rotor starts to wear again, it
will wear unevenly, just like it did when you thought it "warped" the first
time. Period. [Sarcasm inserted here] Reading and understanding are not the
same thing.

Mark

"steve preston" <steve239dak@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Brake rotors warp,period. The guy admits that turning
> a rotor takes care of the problem for a while,then it
> comes back? That`s basically saying that warpage is
> the problem,turning it corrects the warpage,but then
> it warps again,so it`s not warpage that`s the problem!
> DUH. He`s hopped-up on them Fruit Loops. Steve P.
> --- raymond.irons@gm.com wrote:
> >
> > I have over 90K miles on my Dak still on the
> > original brake rotors although
> > I have changed the pads once since I bought the
> > truck. I'm starting to feel
> > some slight pulsation in the steering when I get on
> > the brakes moderately
> > hard so I started searching for information on new
> > brake rotors and pads.
> > Since most of the folks on the DML have recommended
> > Powerslot rotors and
> > Raybestos ceramic pads, I wanted to go looking for
> > an inexpensive source.
> > While in the midst of my search, I stumbled across
> > this article and it has
> > me wondering if I should go with the powerslots and
> > raybestos setup or just
> > stick with the OEM equipment and follow the breakin
> > procedures described in
> > the article. I'd like for ya'll to read over this
> > and let me know what you
> > think. It does make for some interesting reading and
> > I'm willing to bet,
> > it's gonna start some very interesting discussions.
> >

> > Thanks
> >
> > Ray Irons,
> > Dover, DE
> >
> > Link to article:
> >

> http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/warped_rotors_myth.htm
> >

> =====
> 2001 Dodge Dakota 4X4 Sport RC,Flame Red/4.7L V8/45RFE auto/3.92
limited-slip/16" aluminum wheels/Infinity CD-cassette system.