RE:Rough Running 91

From: M Smith (gtv684@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Dec 04 2002 - 12:00:39 EST

>Subject: DML: Rough Running 91

>Hi DML, I just signed up in the hope that one of you could help out a
> >fellow Mopar enthusiast down on his luck.....
>I have a 91 Dakota, 2wd, ext cab, 3.9 Throttle body EFI that does not >want
>to run smoothly just off idle up to about 1400 rpm. This is most
> >noticeable under slow acceleration or unloaded (neutral) If you
> >accelerate rapidly you do not even notice the problem. Once you get >past
>1400-1500 rpm the motor smoothes right out and runs excellent. >The problem
>seems worse during cold weather. In addition to this my >fuel economy is
>off by 3-4 mpg. The motor is orig. with 140K on the >clock. I replaced the
>timing chain & gears at 110K, I recently >replaced the coolant temp sensor
>and throttle position sensor neither >of which seemed to help. The EGR
>valve is in good shape, not plugged >and appears to be functioning
>corectly. The truck received a full tune >up 4 months ago (everything)
>including O2 sensor. I have searched & >searched for vacuum leaks but have
>found none. I checked the computer >using the key & check engine light
>method and it is not holding any >codes.
>I am stumped.... I have been rebuilding old Mopars for 25 years and >have
>never yet paid anyone to fix on one of my vehicles. I refuse to >let this
>be the first one...
>Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
>Thanks, Paul S.

Well Paul........
This sounds just like what happened to my Dak a few weeks ago. I luckily
found the burnt plug wire that had touched the manifold before I took it
somewhere!! It was about to drive me nuts too.....
Sure hope it's something that easy! Let us know what you find out.

Mark
Movin' up to Central KY in a week or two!
95 CC 4X4
3.9L Auto