Re: White smoke at startup

From: kenallgood@cox.net
Date: Mon Dec 09 2002 - 14:07:23 EST

Hmmmmm.. That does make me start thinking, and I could be burning oil now that I think about it.... Cause to be honest, when I took my truck in for inspection last week, they did not even register oil on the dipstick.. and I get it changed every 3k miles... I do not see any oil on my driveway, so I do not think I'm leadking oil (not onto the ground anyway).. Another thought I have is occasionally when say, I'm in 3rd gear, and I go WOT to have it downshift, I'll see a little bit of BLACK smoke come out from underneath the truck.. (see it in rearview mirror)... since I see it in the mirror, I do not know how much that actually happens.. Watching the road rather than mirror when I floor it.. hehe... I have only seen it happen 3-4 times in the last few months.. This smoke is not coming from the exhaust, but from under the truck, because I see a wide cloud of black smoke behind me, and not to the side like from the exhaust (Gibson cat-back side-swept).. it's just a quick puff of black smoke, very
thin but noticable.. Now that I think about it even more, starting to wonder if this is related to the work the dealership did 2 years ago when they replaced my rusted freezeplugs.. *sigh*.. At what they chaged me, I KNEW I should have just dropped in a 5.9... :(

Ken Allgood

>White smoke is oil, not gas... could be a blown >headgasket...
>

>Later!
>Tom "Slick" North
>96 Dodge Dakota 5.2L RC

about 2-3 minutes..... Once I get the engine it clears up.. but if I start
it up, and just sit there, white smoke pours out pretty good.. It
dissepatates (sp??) after maybe 10 feet, but it is pretty thick when it
comes out the exhaust... Maybe running rich at startup? How normal is
this? I'll see if I can get my digi-cam and take a pic right after startup
and post it.... See my previous e-mail for my mods :)

-