RE: Re: tires online

From: RayB (bpracing@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Dec 11 2002 - 00:26:09 EST

Anything's possible but there should be a distinction made between "Discount
Tire" (the company) and a local hole in the wall tire discounter. Then
consider the range of tire brands and sizes that Discount Tire and Tire Rack
sell and ask yourself how many of those brands are from OEM suppliers and in
OEM sizes. These are national tire companies and their economy of scale is
one reason for their lower prices.

The parts manager at a local Chrysler/Jeep dealership is a friend of mine
and when they need a replacement tire(s) they get them from whatever store
in town has the best prices. Then they charge dealership prices for them
when they sell to you.

Regarding "Randy's Ring & Pinion", think about the brands they carry and the
gear ratios available. Are these from OEM suppliers to the auto
manufacturers and are they ratios that are available on a new vehicle?
Mostly not. So where do they come from? Is everything you buy from a
specialty company someone else's rejects?

Hmmm, something to think about.:-)

RayB