Re: tires online

From: Marc W. Grobe (mgrobe@leghorncomputing.com)
Date: Tue Dec 10 2002 - 23:35:31 EST

I have always bought my tires at "Discount Tires" type of places which really has helped me save some dollars. About a year ago a friend of mine cautioned me about getting tires from places like this. He is a Jeep mechanic and stated from his understanding that Chrysler gets a ton of tires from Goodyear and the like and the ones that don't pass their tests for balance and roundness are then sent back to the manufacturers and go back into the distribution chain and become the ones that ultimately end up at these discount vendors. He mentioned this was true for a large number of automotive parts, like say ring and pinion gears. To me this seems so plausible and the whole conversation that started it was about ring and pinions. He said he only installs them from the dealer because the crunch rate from a "Drivetrain Direct" or "Randy's Ring & Pinion" was greater.

So, factually based conspiracy?

-Marc-
Villa Park, IL
Now saddened to find out BigFoot was all a ruse....