Re: Re: RE: Dakota with a gooseneck??

From: Ron Sobers (ron@rsx1.com)
Date: Thu Dec 12 2002 - 12:14:52 EST

> : We also removed gooseneck set ups from some of the little trucks
that we
> : had in stock.
>

> How do these hitches attach to the truck? (Are they mounted through
> the bed into the frame, or are they only attached to the bed itself?)

Gee.. that's a really good question! I guess unless one has either installed
or removed one, you really wouldn't know. They actually mount to the frame
rails. The ones I removed/installed when at the RV shop the holes were
drilled when installed. On my Father's 96 Ram, it APPEARED that the holes
where put there by the factory.
    What I have seen a lot of, is that the installer will lift the bed
enough to get the plate in there, then drill through the bed instead of
actually removing the bed (or lifting about six inches off of the frame if
you are really really good at installing them). I cannot see any benefit of
mounting through the bed, since the plate is bolted right to the frame, I
don't believe the bed would add any more strength to the hitch. I think it
is done primarily by lazy installers who want to flag a lot more hours for
the week - just my opinion though.

~Ron .... Denver, CO
ICQ#26868681
WWW.RSX1.com

'67 Plymouth Sport Fury Convertible (For Sale)
'87 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z (Parting 2)
'89 Shelby CSX-VNT #007
'98 Dodge Dakota Sport 4X4
'02 Chrysler Sebring LXI Sedan