Re: Ball Joints

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Thu Dec 12 2002 - 12:34:29 EST

If equipped? What a joke. From the factory (even the mopar replacemant
parts), the ball joints on our trucks do not come equipped with Zerk
fittings so that you may grease them. When they are built, there is a
specific amount of grease put in there and when it's gone, they just fail.
Until I purchased this truck, I had only heard of this being used on some
select ford and gm products. Ford and gm stopped doing this b/c of higher
fail rates quite some time ago if i'm not mistaken... They're ok, but if
you get a tear in the boot they're gonna fail faster since you can't just
grease them. I had my first set last about 25K miles. The second set was
replaced under warranty at 36K by my service writer friend that works at my
dodge dealership as "insurance" so that I wouldn't have to deal with the
problem for a while. Anyway, if they're not making any noises and are in
spec according to the fsm, you should be ok. keep tabs on them though.

-Josh

""Sam Hotmail"" <samjperez@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> While changing my oil this weekend I noticed that both ball joints, upper
> and lower on both sides could use a little grease. However I noticed also
> that neither has a nipple to attach the grease gun to. So I went to the
FSM