Re: A question of curriosity

From: Wayne (blowndakota@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Dec 28 2002 - 23:52:31 EST

Gary,

Weight reduction is about the best modification you
can make. In general, if you add more HP, it will
only make the truck accelerate faster. But if you
make it lighter, you improve acceleration, braking,
handling and MPG. The rule of thumb of each 100
pounds giving you a tenth (it also equals about 10 HP
and 1 MPH) is pretty much right on for vehicles
weighing between 3000 and 4000 pounds. Over 4000
pounds, removing 100 pounds will get you less then a
tenth, under 3000 will actually net you more. As
mentioned in other posts, lighter wheels are an easy
(but sometimes expensive) way to do this, but wheels
are also rotational weight and are good for a larger
reduction in ET. The general rule of thumb for
rotational weight is that for each pound removed that
spins at crankshaft speed is the same as removing 10
pounds from elsewhere on the vehicle. Where as each
pound removed that spins at wheel speed is worth four
pounds. Wheels are also considered unsprung weight
and removing unsprung weight also improves handling,
braking and acceleration more than just shedding
pounds elsewhere. Good luck with getting the weight
down, please let us know if you find other areas to
remove some pounds. BTW, my 98 regular cab, 5.2,
speed is 4020 with 1/2 tank and me (190 lbs) in it. I
have a fiberglass roll pan and no spare, I would love
to see 3800 pounds!