Re: Re: Billet 4" stroker kit for 3.9

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue Dec 31 2002 - 14:00:23 EST

"Josh Battles" <jbattles@bankfinancial.com> wrote:

: <<snip>>
:> True, but for the price, you could buy an entire 360ci crate engine!
:> :-) You'd have to be an extremely diehard V6er to go that route. :-)
: <<snip>>

: Yes, but you're forgetting the weight factor. A V6 will always weigh less
: than a V8. In my gen III that might just make a difference if it's a SC'd
: 4.9 stroker V6..... Why gain all that weight from the 360 if I can put up
: similar numbers with a 6cyl? I think the only thing that may deter from the
: V6 is that the V8 will always sound better. Nothin sounds like healthy
: Mopar muscle. This line of thinking requires some serious studying.....I
: haven't even gotten my bonus check and already it's burning a hole in my
: wallet. damn.

    I dunno, while there is some truth in that, you really have to
consider the bang for the buck. Also, while you might get the V6 to match
the HP, it will probably be at the expense of torque, specifically low end
torque, which is what our heavy trucks need. You also need to consider
reliability - if I had to choose between a NA V8 and a blown, stroked V6
making the same power, I'd take the V8, even if it was heavier. Chances
are its going to last longer - its under a lot less stress.

   Consider it from this angle... the 4cyl is even lighter than the 6,
why not start there? Or perhaps a 2cyl motorcycle engine? a 1cyl
R/C aircraft engine? :-) Ok, that's getting a bit silly but I'm just
trying to illustrate that there is a point of "diminishing marginal
returns". The key is figuring out exactly where that is, and determining
what makes the most sense for your particular budget and goals.

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ------. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder 1400, 96 FireFly | `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'