Re: Billet 4" stroker kit for 3.9

From: John Neff (jndneff@texas.net)
Date: Wed Jan 01 2003 - 23:06:56 EST

>I've investigated this six way's from sunday, and came to the conclusion a
>engine and electronics swap in a newer
>Dak isn't gonna be very cheap or cost effective, so the 5.2 I was gonna use
>went to Chad Evans.
>
>I talked to 2 chrysler certified Technicians and got the same
>response...........ain't gonna work due to the VIN ## having to be programed
>in to the PCM.

I never said it was going to be cheap, but what engine swap ever is? Also, what does the
PCM use to verify the VIN #? There is the VIN programmed in the PCM, and it may be
programmed into the BCM. So, swap both. As long as the VIN in both items match, you won't
have a problem. No one said the electronics had to have YOUR VIN programmed in them. Only
that they have to have A VIN programmed. The PCM can't read the dash tag to know it's in
the right truck. Take ALL of the electronics from the donor truck and install them in
yours. You won't have to swap the chassis harness, but you're going to have to swap
everything else since you're doing both engine and tranny.

>The compatiblity issue's are done to prevent a car thief from attempting to
>switch a VIN#, TAGS, TITLE and ##'s matching engine in to stolen vehicle for
>resale as a legit vehicle......also prevents a hot rodder from modifing his
>own vehicle..........Thank you Uncle Sam!!

Honestly, who checks this stuff? Again, swap all of the components that have the VIN
programmed in them and it will be fine.

John