Re: Re: RE: Re: RE: Street racing & Common sense or lack

From: andy levy (andylevy@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Jan 05 2003 - 13:53:20 EST

Bill Pitz wrote:

> You also need to be going noticeably faster than the speed limit due to
> the potential for inaccuracy in speed measurement (your speedo vs. the
> cop's speedo/radar, etc.) The California Highway Patrol will generally
> not stop you on the freeway unless you are going way faster than the
> traffic around you or constantly weaving in and out of lanes. They
> rarely use radar on the freeway (except in more rural areas and on
> smaller highways), so they are basically stopping people who do things
> to make themselves stand out.
>
> FWIW, I've been going 80+ on certain stretches of freeway and still been
> passed by dozens of other cars going at least 10-15mph faster than me.

I guess NY is just anal then. More than half the marked police cars (of
all jurisdictions - state, county, local) I pass have their radar on.
On most of the interstates I drive regularly, I'll see at least one
officer in the median just sitting there looking to pick people off on
my drive each time. Even in the town I used to live in, where traffic
was usually more than the roads could handle and thus very slow, the
town police would drive around with their radar on. Really now - who's
going to be speeding (and need radar to prove it) in gridlock?

--
-andy

http://home.twcny.rr.com/andylevy/ --- andylevy@yahoo.com -------------------------------------------- modesty, n.: Being comfortable that others will discover your greatness --------------------------------------------