Re: 9" Rear In A Dak

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Thu Jan 09 2003 - 13:32:52 EST

"tkoth" <tkoth@cox.net> wrote:

: Jon, I'm not sure I fully agree with the one statement about
: the 9.25 not being up to task. At least when comparing it to
: the Ford 9". I think in stock trim the Dodge 9.25" is
: sronger than a stock Ford 9". Or at least just as strong.
: Where the Ford realy wins out is that there's 400 kadjillion
: of 'em out there and lots of aftermarket, high strength
: parts for 'em. Much more parts availability than the Dodge
: 9.25". Plus they are more modular and easier to work on than
: other types of rear ends. This is coming from an off-roaders
: perspective with some limited drag racing experience,
: probably much less than you guys. The other thing I'm not
: crazy about the Corporate 9.25" is the C clip design. In any
: case, through the aftermarket you can build a Ford 9" into a
: real strong axle. But those types of parts you cannot find
: for a Dodge 9.24".

Tim,

    I don't wether it was on the DML or not (I am pretty sure it
was), but someone had posted some details about this a while back.
I don't remember the particulars, but the gist of it was that the
Ford 9" was stronger than the 8.25 and 9.25 due to the design - the
Ford has better support for the pinion gear, or something like that?
Had something to do with "clamping down" the internals so that they
do not have as much room to move around I think? I wish I could
remember the details, I searched the archives and didn't come up
with anything. Maybe someone reading this will remember and can
elaborate.

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ------. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder 1400, 96 FireFly | `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'