Re: 9" Rear In A Dak

From: tkoth (tkoth@cox.net)
Date: Tue Jan 07 2003 - 23:38:35 EST

Jon, I'm not sure I fully agree with the one statement about
the 9.25 not being up to task. At least when comparing it to
the Ford 9". I think in stock trim the Dodge 9.25" is
sronger than a stock Ford 9". Or at least just as strong.
Where the Ford realy wins out is that there's 400 kadjillion
of 'em out there and lots of aftermarket, high strength
parts for 'em. Much more parts availability than the Dodge
9.25". Plus they are more modular and easier to work on than
other types of rear ends. This is coming from an off-roaders
perspective with some limited drag racing experience,
probably much less than you guys. The other thing I'm not
crazy about the Corporate 9.25" is the C clip design. In any
case, through the aftermarket you can build a Ford 9" into a
real strong axle. But those types of parts you cannot find
for a Dodge 9.24".

But when it comes down to it, I'd say that there's more than
a 1% of the Dak populace that could benefit from a Ford 9"
in their Dak... maybe even as much as 5% to 7% when you call
in the rock crawlers!

Tim

------------

> Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 05:04:31 +0000 (UTC)
> From: jon@dakota-truck.net
> Subject: Re: DML: 9" Rear In A Dak
>
> Danny Burrows <havenx@ksni.net> wrote:
>
> : Umm Dakota already seem to have pretty good rear ends,
why bother.

> Not if you plan on crankin' any real power through 'em;
especially
> so for Bill, his '95 no doubt has an 8.25" rear and he is
dropping in a
> pretty hot 408 stroker. My '96 Dak has already torn the
8.25" up
> once, and my truck only runs mid 14s. (Granted, I do have
a stick
> which is harder on 'em than an auto, but still...)
>
> The 9.25" became available in Daks around 97-98 which is
certainly
> better than the 8.25" but still not quite up to task; the
Mopar 8.75"
> or the Ford 9" are both much stronger than either of the
stock Dak
> rears. (There's also the Dana 60 of course, but you take
a pretty
> hefty weight penalty with that beast at the strip.)
>
> For the vast majority of Dak owners, you are correct,
the stock
> rears are just fine - but there are some 1%ers out there
that need

jon@jonsteiger.com ------.
> | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec &
UL Pilot - SEL |
> | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder
1400, 96 FireFly |
http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'