Re: Posting Problems

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Wed Jan 15 2003 - 19:18:59 EST

jsm@hardynet.com wrote:

: I know I'll probably catch some flack over this but here goes. Lately
: I've noticed, what seems to me, an increase in the size of some
: replies. Can anyone explain why it takes 50, 100, or more than 200
: lines of quoted text, that covers five, six, seven or more messages,
: to leave a one or two line response? Then to top it off (no pun
: intended) the response is top posted so nobody has any idea what the
: responder is replying to. Or why is it necessary to have a eight line,
: or longer, signature file that adds absolutely nothing to the message?
: Please take the time to read the recently posted message from Jon on
: mailing list etiquette. Let's show a little consideration for those
: that get the digest form and also make it easier for everyone to
: follow what you're responding to. After all isn't that what the list
: is all about? I will now return to my lurking mode and await all the
: hate mail.

   I have to agree. I admit, being on the newsgroup version of the list,
it hasn't really affected me so I haven't really noticed, but after it
was brought up, I have noticed how much I seem to have to delete when
replying to a post. This is a minor inconvenience for me, but can
be a major one for the digest users.

   I'd like to agree with Steve's post and request that everyone please
try to make an effort to trim the non-relevant portions of the posts you
are replying to. (And while I'm at it, replying at the bottom of a
message as I'm doing here, is greatly preferred to "top posting",
because it makes a conversation much easier to follow as the topic
grows.)

   Thanks!!

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ------. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder 1400, 96 FireFly | `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'