Re: Re: 4L JEEP ENGINE INTO A GEN III to replace a 2.5L?

From: Kyle Vanditmars (kylevan@telus.net)
Date: Sun Jan 19 2003 - 03:40:52 EST

""Jeff Durling"" <jdurling@directvinternet.com> wrote in message
news:000f01c2bf19$fcd43b10$0201a8c0@Gate...

> Just thinking about this a little more. The 4.0 is barnstormer of power
> either but does have decent torque. If you are looking for a little more
> umph to just get going and don't need tons of torque you can also try
> getting a turbo off the late eighties early ninties 2.2. If I remember
right
> the 2.5 is mostly the same engine just beefed up more. there were and
still
> are alot of buildup parts available for that engine.
>
> Jeff Durling

Yes and no. As was pointed out, the 4-banger in newer Dakotas is the AMC
unit. It's NOT the same as a Mopar 2.2/2.5. However, the 87 and 88 (and
only those years, I believe,) do have the ol' 100 horse/125lbs-ft 2.2 (or is
it the 2.5? ...whatever, same engine, different stroke). If you have one of
those, you could quite easily get the turbo and injection stuff from a
wrecking yard, if you're feeling adventureous. If not, you could also
probably find a donor car for fairly cheap. Look for the '87 and newer
turbo motors, I believe they have a superior intake manifold, and make more
power. Anyway, the bottom ends on those motors are next to indestructible
as long as you're not going for wild, wild boost. I know I have seen a
guy's website that turbocharged a Dak 2.2, but I can't find it for the life
of me. If you're actually interested (even if just for the info,) I'm going
to track it down and post a URL hopefully.