Re: Pre-heating the engine

From: Jason Bleazard (jason.dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Thu Jan 23 2003 - 07:47:54 EST

Thanks everyone, I've had some good suggestions on this problem. I think I
must have forgotten to specify that I'm trying to avoid any actual
modifications to the truck itself. Actually, I'm trying to avoid spending
very much money on the problem whatsoever. As we're planning on this being
our last winter in the cold, all I have to do is make it a couple more
months and I won't have to worry about it any more :-). I know Canadian
Tire sells the block heater, but I was hoping that I wouldn't be needing to
punch any new holes in my engine block or cut the rad hoses.

I have found that there's enough room in the engine compartment to set a
space heater, but I'm not sure how safe it is to have exposed heating
elements in there. If there was any kind of gas or oil leak, it might make
for a nice ignition source.

I've heard that you can put a drop light in the engine compartment, and the
light bulb will give off enough heat. I'm kinda skeptical on that one.

I remember my dad used to have a dipstick heater that we had to use on the
Granada. You pull out the oil dipstick, and put this thing down in its
place. When plugged in, it warmed up just enough to keep the oil warm but
not ignite it. I haven't been able to find these any more. Maybe someone
had problems with the "not ignite it" part (D'oh!). Or maybe I'm just not
looking hard enough.

Any other ideas? I'm not too keen on standing outside in ultra-negative
temperatures with a hair dryer trying to blow warm air over the engine. The
torpedo heater is a pretty good idea, though. Maybe I'll park in front of
our obnoxious neighbor's house with that one :-).

Thanks,
Jason