Re: New to the 5speed

From: Jason Bleazard (jason.dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Fri Jan 31 2003 - 20:28:54 EST

Woodruff, Jason P wrote:
> So I've got this truck now with the 5spd. I'd have to say, I'm doing quite
> well considering I haven't driven a manual since I was 16. And even then I
> was bad at it.

:-) Practice, practice, practice.

> Few things I notice (the 5spd that comes with the 4.7L),
> 1.) damn that first gear is low. At 10mph I'm at 2500rpms.

Yep. First time I test drove mine, I thought something was broken. The
truck just wasn't going anywhere. Many V8 owners find they don't even
need 1st, and just start out in 2nd gear. Personally, I don't find the
V6 has quite enough torque to do that, unless I'm pointed down hill.

> 2.) There's some sort of lock out from shifting into first at a speed about
> 12mph. I can understand why its there, but this requires me to get all the
> way down to 1200rpms in second gear before I can shift to 1st (I'm thinking
> about racing here, not daily driving which its fine for). Is there
> something I can do about this?

Blip the throttle as you shift to bring the RPMs up. Works on my '95.
 From what I understand, it's the syncros that prevent you from shifting
when there's a huge difference between the engine and driveshaft speeds
in that gear.

> 3.) The power lock and window controls do weird things if you don't set the
> brake.

Don't know about that.

> The starter won't engage if you don't have the clutch in (even in
> neutral).

This is true. It's just a simple switch behind the pedal. You can
bypass it if you really want to.

> And an on the side thing... What's the best/fastest way to get that
> cigarette smell out. *yeck*,

Look for a "smoke eater" air freshener. They make them specifically for
that purpose. I've heard Febreeze works well, also.

--
Jason Bleazard  http://www.bleazard.net  Toronto, Ontario

Didn't you read the disclaimer? http://www.they.com/disclaimer