Re: RE: Re: Re: Swapping tires at the dealer?

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Thu Feb 13 2003 - 10:03:16 EST

> The difference between static and dynamic balancing has absolutely nothing
> to do with the location of the weights!
>
> Static balancing is done with the tire stationary i.e. STATIC. The tire is
> hanging horizontally on the tire-mounting machine and weights are added
> until it sits level as indicated by a circular bubble balance. This is
> easier and requires less time and handling of the tire and therefore
> cheaper.
> Dynamic balancing, also called spin balancing, is usually a truer and more
> accurate way to find the location and amount of weight needed. Dynamic
> balancing is done by spinning the tire on a separate machine, which
> determines and displays the out-of-balance points and the amount of weight
> needed. The easiest location to add weights is the outside edge of the
rim.
> If a large amount of weight is needed, the extras are usually clipped to
the
> inside of the edge of the rim. On some types of alloy wheels there isn't a
> lip on which to clip the weight. Peel-and-stick weights are used here
> For better appearance on fancy wheels, some service centers may put the
> weight only on the inside edge if requested but they may ask for an extra
> charge for the extra handling.

I dunno about that whole bubble thing... I worked in a shop (sears auto) as
a mechanic and also did tires. Any time you wanted to balance the wheel, it
went on a spin balancer. There are several different settings that you can
use, one of them being static. I don't know how they did it in the old
days, you may be correct there, but today a spin balancer can do just about
any type of balance you like.

--
-Josh
2000 Dakota CC 3.9L