RE: Re: RE: Re: Re:Definitions,Was tires

From: Neil W. Bellenger (neil624b@rochester.rr.com)
Date: Thu Feb 13 2003 - 17:04:13 EST

-----Original Message-----
On Behalf Of Josh Battles
Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2003 10:03 AM
To: dakota-truck-moderator@bent.twistedbits.net
Subject: DML: Re: RE: Re: Re: Swapping tires at the dealer?

<I don't know about that whole bubble thing... I worked in a shop (sears
auto) as
a mechanic and also did tires. Any time you wanted to balance the wheel, it
went on a spin balancer>

My tire weight hammering days were late 50's, early 60's while in high
school.
Spin balancers were just coming out. Only the large volume tire dealers and
distributors had them.
The corner gas stations had a static balancing cone on the tire machine. Lay
weights on the tire rim until the bubble is centered in the circle, then
hammer them in.
These are the terms I learned, they are still valid, and I still use them.
Static means the tire isn't moving.
The first spin balancers had no hood over the tire. After enough people got
hit in the face with stones coming out of the tire tread, the manufacturers
added the flip open hood.

Term and definitions don't need to change with every generation.

It's like the location on a "V" configured engine with a single camshaft.
It's the lifter VALLEY.

Gaskets that seal the valley and create a plenum there are valley gaskets.

A transmission that requires the ratios to be selected manually is a manual
transmission. It doesn't matter whether it was included in the standard
equipment for the vehicle or is an option.

A hitch that allows connection of a trailer with a lunette ring has no
commonality with horses with a dual-colored coat pattern; it's a pintle
hitch.