Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Re:Definitions,Was tires

From: Richard A Pyburn (rap777@juno.com)
Date: Thu Feb 13 2003 - 17:56:20 EST

Neil:

Ever see anyone do it with a coke bottle half full of water and a string?
I was in a shop in the sixties where they would half fill a coke bottle
with water and tie a string around the neck of the bottle. They then tied
the other end of the string to the outside mirror and jacked up that side
of the car. They put something like a hubcap with a protruding spindle
over the wheel and stuck a motorized device to spin the tire under the
tire of the wheel being balanced. The mechanic would then adjust the
rings on the protruding spindle until the water in the coke bottle didn't
shake and was sitting level at various speeds. The adjusting rings
indicated the amount of weight to be added to the wheel at certain
locations.

I guess this was a hybrid static-dynamic balance. LOL

Richard

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003 17:04:13 -0500 "Neil W. Bellenger"
<neil624b@rochester.rr.com> writes:

> [...]

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com