Re: Re: Dead Truck (No fire)

From: Dakota Reading List (barongrey@mchsi.com)
Date: Sun Feb 16 2003 - 14:26:52 EST

That's good advice if you have a carburetor. You'd want to take off the
intake so you could reach the choke butterfly valves in the carburetor and
wedge them open with a screwdriver or something too large to slip down into
your intake (Whoops!) then hold the throttle down until it fires. Remove
your tool and start it up.

Fuel injection doesn't use a choke, and shouldn't be able to flood. If
you're having a no-start condition with fuel injection, check the fuel rail
to ensure you have pressure then pull a plug wire and have someone crank the
engine while you hold the tip near a metal surface of the engine. You
should get a bright blue-white spark about 1/4" long. If you have no fuel
or no/weak spark, it won't start. If your engine has a distributor, take
off the cap[ and make sure it's dry inside. Wipe out any moisture then
spray with WD40. put it back together and try again.

No-start problems are generally easy to track down if you simply ensure you
have fuel and spark.

Good luck!

Steve & Tarona Stanfield
Ridgecrest, CA