HEMI Ram 1500 v. Dakota R/T

From: Gabriel A. Couriel (BigGabe@fiufiji.com)
Date: Tue Feb 18 2003 - 10:57:00 EST

while dreaming of a new truck, i was looking at my favorite truck (the
Dakota R/T), and realized that the prices on that truck keep shooting up.
so i decided to do a price comparison between a regular cab, Ram 1500 HEMI
SLT, and a regular cab, base, Dakota R/T on Dodge.com (i know the prices
there are higher than at the dealer, but they provide a good guage for
consumers, who hit those sites to look at the trucks).

now, both trucks were equally equipped (V8, auto tranny, PW,PL, A/C, Sport
Package-for the Ram) but what shocked me was the slight difference in price.
the Dakota came in at $24,365.00, while the Hemi Ram came in at $25,200.00.
that is a price difference of less than $1,000.

when doing the math, you are getting a 250HP truck for $900 less than a
345HP truck, with far more towing and payload capacity. don't get me wrong,
i love the looks of both trucks, but DC must be smoking some seriously bad
sh*t to justify that cost difference.

also, don't forget, these are comperably equipped trucks. neither is
stripped or a base model (only the base R/T model, which comes with a lot of
things standard). they have the same rear-end, same gearing, same options.
but for less than $1000, i'm looking at the Ram from now on. jeez... why
can't DC learn from the mistakes GM made in pricing their F-Bodies so high,
and driving the consumers to the cheaper (albeit slower) competition. if DC
would lower the price on these things, they'd probably move a lot more than
they currently do.

just doing some informative research for everyone out there.

Gabe Couriel
http://frontpage.tripod.com/fijigabe0

Doing my best to cure ignorance since 1980!

---
1998 Dodge Dakota Club Cab
239ci V6 - 175hp
5 speed - AX15
8.25 Rear-end w/ 3.21 open differential

- Modifications -

Performance: Homemade Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster 40 Cat-back Exhaust, Autolite 3923 Spark Plugs, Mopar Performance 7.5mm Spark Plug Wires, Mobil 1 15W50 Synthetic Motor Oil w/ Mopar Performance Oil Filter.

Audio: Sony Mobile CDX 4180 AM/FM CD Player (40Watt x 4 Channel), Sony Xplod XS-R1610 6½ 3-Way Speakers (160 Total Watts)