Keystone GenII hoods (was: Roll pan)

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue Feb 18 2003 - 12:03:10 EST

"Jeff Durling" <jdurling@bellsouth.net> wrote:

: Keystone has been selling the hood for the Gen II daks for a while now.
: The problem is that you couldn't make it functional. They never offered
: or intended to offer the parts to make it functional. Not much of a
: problem and I know it's not really going to be the greatest ram-air
: effect but it guaranteed that it was drawing in outside air and had that
: coolness factor.

    Bummer. I know those parts exist because Terry was selling the
hoods as non functional, functional, and functional with an air box.
I ordered mine as a functional hood which means it had the cutout,
but I didn't order the air box because I was planning to make my
own. In retrospect, I probably should have spent the $80 for the
airbox but I was too cheap. I'll get around to building one eventually.
:-) I did get as far as making a cardboard prototype which I used
for about a year at the track - and the airbox was good for another
tenth or two.

   So, I guess the upside is that even if Keystone doesn't want to sell
them as functional hoods, you should be able to make them functional
because they were designed to be so. (Unless Keystone has changed the
design of course, but it doesn't seem likely that they would go through
all the effort to change the molds for a product that needs no changes.)

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ------. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder 1400, 96 FireFly | `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'