Re: Tonneau covers - lift or not?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue Feb 18 2003 - 12:07:53 EST

B1LLYW@aol.com wrote:

: In a message dated 2/17/2003 4:28:31 PM Eastern Standard Time,
: andylevy@yahoo.com writes:

: <<<I think I'm going to go with a soft tonneau on the QC. Is there a big
: advantage to getting the ones that lift with hydralics, or is not worth
: the extra cost over the regular style? About all I can see is I'd be
: able to "open" the cover without having to remove it, which is a pain in
: the winter.>>>

: YES!!! I've had both and it is absolutely worthwhile. It makes access to the
: bed a lot easier and it is so worth it during the winter. I've got an Extang
: soft hatch style myself and I had a Sportmaster on my Ram.

   I agree. I've never had a soft tonneau with the hinges and struts,
but I have had my fiberglass tonneau which lifts the same way for a
while now, and I have used and seen standard soft tonneaus which need
to be unhooked or unsnapped. If I were to get a soft tonneau, it would
most definitely be the type that hinges and lifts up. I would recommend
getting the type that can unsnap and/or lift up. For small items that fit
under the tonneau, you just have to lift it up, toss the item in the bed,
and close it. For larger items, you still have the option of unsnapping
part of the tonneau to allow the item to stick up through it.

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ------. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder 1400, 96 FireFly | `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'