Re: Mopar Performance R3 Race Block

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Wed Feb 26 2003 - 19:47:29 EST

Hi Shane,

I don't have first hand knowledge about the R3 blocks but just some general
data that I've come across from time to time.

>Does anyone know anything about these blocks? I realize that makes me
>look pretty dumb to drop that kind of cash on something I don't know much
>about but...it looks like they have 2-bolt and 4-bolt, siamesed bore and
>not, 48 and 59 degree lifter bores and ?? other variations of the R3
>block. This particular one looks alot like the 5.9L magnum specs but
>beefed up w/extra core material.

These are MP's A-engine race blocks. There are tall deck and short deck
versions plus full water-jacket and siamesed-bore versions. Two of these
are (were?) two 360 versions, both obviously tall deck (9.56") and have
full water-jackets. One is the 2-bolt main (P4876797) and the other is
a 4-bolt main which I believe has been discontinued. These real race
blocks have thicker decks and bore-walls, filled pan rail and bulkheads,
etc. thus making them stiffer and keeping the bore-walls straight and round
at wot (thus more power production).

>Does it have the spider roller lifter holdowns?
>Does it even take the late-model magnum roller lifters?

I gather that they're not very roller lifter friendly, at least the R3 340
versions.

>Externally the same as both the LA and magnum 360s block wise? Motor
>mounts for LA and/or magnum? LA/magnum heads? All other fasteners the
>same (head bolts, main studs, etc). Std 360 oil dress (pan, pickup, pump,
>windage tray)?

Check with Fastman Dan Arcand. Apparently, he currently has 3 of the 48
degree blocks
and knows quite a bit about them. www.thefastman.com is his site.

Also, you can try two bulletin boards, http://www.moparchat.com and
   http://www.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php . Do a search
for r3 and block. The first board requires registration.

HTH.
Bob