Stock Air Hat vs. open element

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Mar 04 2003 - 15:32:39 EST

This has been talked about for a little while so I figured i would throw
my two cents worth in...

The FIKP underhood filters simply "look cooler" tha a stock wrinkle tube
plastic intake and stock airbox. I wouldn't be suprised if that wasnt
the main advertising gimick for them. The stock set up is that way for
a reason - co bring cool outside air into the engine for better
combustion and power. Everyone looks at a stock air intake and says "oh
thats restrictive - gotta replace that with something better" - and they
replace it with a filter that sucks in hotter air in the engine
compartment - hurting performance.

I have seen variations on that style filter however - that ahve heat
sheilds and are more geared twards pulling cooler air into the filter -
but still the only way to get cool air into the engine is to draw it
from outside the engine bay - not inside it.

I'm sure this is nothing new to some people - just parroting it because
I'm taking a break from the DML BBQ 2002 report - and thoguht I would
post on this subject heheh

Terrible Tom

"It's a living thing... It breathes, it eats, ...and it hates..."

Silver '89 Dakota Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x2 Silver '89 Dakota Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x4 w plow - (aka Granpa) Green/Silver '95 Jeep Cherokee, I-6 HO, Auto, 4 door, 4x4

AIM Screen name: SilverEightynine Yahoo Messenger: SilverEightynine

DML Profile URL: http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/LkxxVw49jp7dU/