Re: Re: DML BBQ - ATTN: Bleazard (again)

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Thu Mar 06 2003 - 09:29:01 EST

"Terrible Tom" <SilverEightynine@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:3E66FEAE.4050302@earthlink.net...
> Josh - also - Adam and I used FRS radios to talk on the road - I also
> never drive without a CB - a very relable too in locating and avoiding
> Mr. Smokey Bear. (though not 100% perfect)
>
> Jon also has a bunch of FRS radios at the Barn - however I like the CB's
> because they typically have a greater range than FRS - the two are not
> compatible however. If you and Gary come along - I should have enough
> radios for all of us. I have 4 total. Adam - you know where your FRS
> radios are? heh

Tom, I've got a Nextel that works just like a radio...if anyone else in the
"caravan" has them as well that would eliminate the range problems all
together. I also have an old school Cobra 29 that was my dad's when he was
younger...it was "peaked" or something so it's output is rather high and has
a nice powermike on it. (can usually "ping" in when sending a carrier) My
only problem would be tuning the antenna as I don't have a meter to measure
(and set) the ground plane. I would have no problems hooking that up with a
magnetic mount antenna on my roof for the trip. My problem is that since
it's 20-something years old, it only has channels 1-25 on it and no
sidebands. If you're willing to stay under channel 25 I'd be willing to use
that CB. Oh, I've got one of the top 5 radar detectors on the market too,
so I don't think Mr. Smokey will be that much of a problem. :-)

--
-Josh
2000 Dakota CC 3.9L