Re: Re: Re: determination

From: Speeker (a0004096@airmail.net)
Date: Sun Mar 09 2003 - 00:06:44 EST

hrmmmmm. Never mind the fact that lines painted on a road or blinkers
flashing really matter. What I was addressing was the self admission by the
original poster that as he saw another vehicle trying to "move over"
(legally, or illegally, doesn't matter), he intentionally tried to speed up
to prevent the Camry from chaning lanes. Never mind the fact also that
highways, roads, and streets are for use of all people legally licensed to
drive. They do not belong to individuals as your post implies simply
because you are the person currently in that position and I quote "...has
the right of way in MY LANE???..." It's this type of behavior that leads
to road rage.

I'm sure that if you check your state and local laws, you will find rules
and regulations which state who has right of way in just about every
situation on the road. For example, two vehicles pull to a stop sign at
exactly the same time. Who goes first? The larger vehicle? The smaller
vehicle? Does it matter what type of road (ie the number of lanes) the
vehicles are on? Does it matter which direction they are going after the
stop sign? Now, I'm not sure where you live or for that matter the
rules/regulations for road safety in your area, but in most situations, if
vehicle 1 is ahead of vehicle 2 with a blinker on trying to move over to a
different lane occupied by vehicle 2 traveling at the same speed, you saying
that simply because vehicle 2 is there first that vehicle 1 should slow
down, let vehicle 2 pass from behind to in front and then may move over?

Also, keep this in mind. My post was to address the behavior of people
behind a steering wheel whom at times tend to forget the damage that can be
done by making stupid mistakes. Granted, the Camry may or may not have been
in the wrong here. But what if an accident "had" occurred? What if the the
Camry flipped over during an accident and killed its occupant? What if the
driver of the Dakota lost control because of trying to "show-up" another
vehicle and killed his/herself (not to mention wrecking a perfectly good
Dodge Dakota)? Would it really be important at that point who had right of
way? A person could have died simply because someone was trying to defend
"...their lane.."

What if the driver of the Camry was a doctor on the way to the hospital to
perform emergency surgery? What if the driver of the Camry was a
firefighter on the way to the station to jump on a fire truck to help put
out a fire that could have killed people?

Does it really matter who is right or who is wrong? If we all try to be a
little nicer to the next person, the world would be a much nicer place to
live.

Ta-Daa