Don't tell me I totally screwed up

From: Ken Allgood (kenallgood@cox.net)
Date: Tue Mar 11 2003 - 19:13:27 EST

Ok so I got it on TDC for cyl #1, adjust rockers. Turn engine clockwise to
next tick mark, and looking at the distributor, it's now pointing at
Cylinder #2 (which this is what got me a little confused before).. so I
check the FSM to make sure the firing order and cyl #'s are as I was told.
Sure enough, they were, but what has got me wondering was I noticed that the
FSM shows that the Distributor rotor rotates clockwise (which the next
cylinder going that way would indeed by #8), but when i'm doing it, it's
rotating the rotor counter-clockwise. So I turn the crankshaft 45 deg the
other way (and i'm sure you've already guessed), and the rotor did not
move... and NOW the rotor is off by a cylinder in the firing order..... I'm
afraid to ask how much I've screwed up.. And on top of that, why in the
world is the distributor rotor turning counter-clockwise?? I thought (maybe
incorrectly) that to turn the engine in proper order, when facing the engine
from the front, turn the crankshaft clockwise......
AAAAAACCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Ken Allgood
97 CC SLT 5.2L