RE: Timing Chain On Granpa

From: Jeff Durling (jdurling@bellsouth.net)
Date: Wed Mar 12 2003 - 09:20:13 EST

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net
[mailto:owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net] On Behalf Of Terrible
Tom
Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 2:11 AM
To: dakota-truck-moderator@bent.twistedbits.net
Subject: DML: Timing Chain On Granpa

well I picked up a vibration dampner puller kit from autozone on a
loaner for $15...(refundable)

Tonight I put three hours into Granpa. (after completing 1600 mile trip
LOL)

(damn - I didnt quite realize how much coolant is left in the block even

after teh radiator is removed)

I popped the timing chain cover and found that there is a good inch or
more of total side to side slack in the chain. According to the FSM -
there should be more more than 1/8th of an inch of slack? LOL And that
idiot mechanic told me the noise I heard was an "alternator bearing"
FEH!

Also - the inside of the chain case looks like it may have been slapping

against it. Its scored a bit and shiney. Is the inside of the timing
chain case supposed to be real shiney??
I'm going to have to remove the rest of the axle (differential housing)
and replace the oil pan gasket. This is something I am really dreading.

  Gaskets are NOT my friend! I have yet to get a valve cover gasket to
NOT leak!

I do have a question - when all is said and done - how do I get the
vibration dampener back on ??

Anyone have a bag of oil dry? heh I have a lake of coolant on my garage
floor >:-|

--------
Terrible Tom

Tom,

See if you can find valve cover gaskets that have the steel insert in them. I have those on several cars that my father and I own and never have any problems of them leaking. Not sure on your year but I know they are the ones included with the MP valve covers for the magnum v8's. Hopefully someone makes them for that year.

Jeff Durling