Re: Timing Chain On Granpa

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Wed Mar 12 2003 - 10:44:48 EST

Terrible Tom <SilverEightynine@earthlink.net> wrote:

: I popped the timing chain cover and found that there is a good inch or
: more of total side to side slack in the chain. According to the FSM -
: there should be more more than 1/8th of an inch of slack? LOL And that
: idiot mechanic told me the noise I heard was an "alternator bearing" FEH!

: Also - the inside of the chain case looks like it may have been slapping
: against it. Its scored a bit and shiney. Is the inside of the timing
: chain case supposed to be real shiney??

    I'm pretty sure it isn't. Sounds like the chain was touching.
(This probably also means there are metal shavings in your oil so
it wouldn't be a bad idea to change it, though you should do that
anyway, after having worked on the timing chain cover, etc.)

  Hopefully this was the source of your "diesel" problem. :-)

  I wonder how it happened though? I doubt the timing chain is adjustable -
perhaps the sprockets are worn, or the chain and/or sprockets are the wrong
size?

: I'm going to have to remove the rest of the axle (differential housing)
: and replace the oil pan gasket. This is something I am really dreading.
: Gaskets are NOT my friend! I have yet to get a valve cover gasket to
: NOT leak!

   Yeah, the oil pan is a real fun one to change, too. :-)

: I do have a question - when all is said and done - how do I get the
: vibration dampener back on ??

    On my 440, what I did was to hit both the crank's nose and the inside
of the vibration dampener with some 400 grit sandpaper just to be sure
they were both clean and smooth then tapped the dampener in place with a
rubber mallet. You will probably need to torque down the crank bolt
afterwards (I'm not sure what the spec is, should be in your FSM) which
can be a bit tricky because the engine will spin. If the oil pan is off,
you can stick a wooden hammer handle up into the crank to keep it from
spinning. What I did was to thread a bolt into one of the crank pulley
holes in the dampener, and attached a chain from it to the frame or k
member to prevent the engine from spinning while I torqued it down.

  I'm assuming your motor has a slot in the crank nose with a woodruff
key that goes in it - make sure that's in place before you reinstall the
lower sprocket or vibration dampener... That is what allows the crank
pulley, vibration dampener, cam and valvetrain to move, so leaving that
little guy out could destroy your engine. If you weren't expecting it
to be there, it could be easy to have it fall out, not notice, and
reassemble without re-installing it.

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ------. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder 1400, 96 FireFly | `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'