Re: Maryland R/T and EMMSIONS!?

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Wed Mar 12 2003 - 23:06:03 EST

TJ,

Sounds like MD is "drydocking" you... when I picked my first stang here in
Chicago it was a 4 banger and terribly slow. So, in my infinate wisdom I
dropped a WILD 351W running 14# of Whipple Charged power in there... Anyway,
when I went for emissions they only required that I pass the emissions
standards for that year. They tested my car as if it had the 302 in it
(since there's no option for the 351) and to everyone's suprize I managed to
eek by...just barely though.

So, now on to the Dak content... Since you really want to go with the 360,
I think you should go that route. Just drop the extra dollars on some
advanced engine management that you can control with a laptop. That way
when you go for emissions, you can "de-tune" your monster motor so that it
will pass, then before you get too far down the road just pull over and load
the more performance minded program (head snappin, wheel spinnin one) back
into the PCM. My good friend did that when he had to go for emissions in
his Camaro. (383 stroker dynoed at 570HP all motor mind you) and passed with
flying colors. He rigged something that would not fire 2 of the cylinders
each rotation, effectively turning the car into a 6 cyl car. He passed with
flying colors. Maybe you could rig up something like that? Another
alternative is to fab up a section of echaust with 2 (or 3 depending)
hi-flow bullet cats on it and just swap that in there before you go. I used
to run with an off-road "x" pipe on the stang and just put the stock (4 cat)
h-pipe in before i went to the sniffer and switched it back out later. It's
a little tuffer with this new dyno test (EM-250) that they have going on
here in IL.

**Another interesting OT tidbit for ya here: No BMW or MB car will pass
emissions. NONE. What they do use a piece of coding in the PCM that uses
the ABS wheel speed sensors to determine if the car is on a dyno (running
the EM-250 emissions test) and it changes the whole timing setup and leans
out the A/F mix to acceptable levels. There's always a way around
EVERYTHING.

I hope that this helps you TJ!!!

--
-Josh
2000 Dakota CC 3.9L

""TJ"" <dakota52318@toad.net> wrote in message news:008c01c2e92b$6d481020$b2bc21a2@cc456355a... > > OK, I need some help from you guys... Im am planning on what to do with my > truck when my 318 dies. And you all know that we have to pass that damn > emmisions test, but with this need for speed, Ive got a delema.... the way I > see it, I have 3 options: > 1-Get another 318 and replace all the necesary parts with forged ones to > carry a 150 shot of nitrous from NOS's NOSzle setup > 2-Bore a 318 to a 323 and replace all those same parts (o-ring heads blah > blah) to gain a little displacement and power without worrying too much > about passing emmsions, using Mopar performance parts > 3-Go with a 360, and do all of the above > > With #1 I have no worries except for finding stock size forged pistons... #2 > should be ok, but #3, the one that Id really like to do is the worry. > According to the emmisions guy, if I put in a 360, I will still have to pass > the 318 standards... SO THIS IS WHAT I NEED, all you guys with R/Ts and Rams > with 360s, I need your results from your test, your year, model, MODS, state > standard and your result in each catagory.... please, Im trying to make a > educated decision about this so I dont waste any money, thanks guys!!! Read > below for my trucks current setup. > > TJ > dakota52318@toad.net > 1992 Dodge Dakota 4X4 > Long Bed, 318, 46RH Auto > DT Headers, Functional RamAir Hood > K&N FIPK, Flowmaster Muffler > Custom Throttle Body > MP Computer > 15.74@87.59 > 4350lbs > >