Re: Sub-woofer ?

From: kenallgood@cox.net
Date: Tue Mar 18 2003 - 13:44:25 EST

First - Yes, the changes in dimension will change the sound of the subs. I had to do that with the 12"'s I put in the back of my 97 CC. If you go with a box that is not deep as the dimensions suggest, I believe that'll give you a better thumping base, but not as much of a low bass (what I refer to as wide bass). The main problem you get into is the lack of air in the box. If you make it to small, there is not enough air to move, and that'll several cut down on the bass levels. Try to keep the same cubic feet if you have to make the box shallow, that should help out some there.

As to ports, well that depends on things too. 1 - Is the woofer meant for band-pass box or sealed. I believe the Kenwoods are meant for band-pass, but do OK in a sealed. If you go with a port though, you need something solid for it to hit against when the air leaves the box (that's why hatchbacks are awesome for subs, bounce that air off the rear window).

My basic setup is 4 12" subs (2 Kenwoods, 2 JL's). I have both of the JL's ported because they make a better low bass, while the Kenwoods are sealed. Originally I had them sitting on my rear seats facing forward, but I decided to turn them around facing the back of the truck, and WOW what a difference. The subs are facing the back, and they're bouncing the sound off the back, think I got close to a 10db increase there.

Might help if you tell us what type of music you like to listen to (rock, etc).. Do you want the quick-hard hitting thumping bass, or do you want the low (wide) rolling bass. I presume the thump bass because that's what 8's are good for.

Ken Allgood
97 CC SLT 5.2L