Re: Opinion about brakes??

From: Bob Mankin (bob@coralfarms.com)
Date: Wed Mar 19 2003 - 14:39:31 EST

> --- Terrible Tom <SilverEightynine@earthlink.net>
> wrote:
> >
> > Ed McCarrick wrote:
> > > I need an opinion. I just took my 2K QC 4.7 5
> > speed
> > > w/ 48K miles, into my dealer to have my clutch fan
> > > replaced and had them check the brakes. The
> > brakes
> > > are still the originals, and the service manager
> > told
> > > me they were fine, looked brand new. How is this
> > > possible? I'm not complaining, but I certainly
> > don't
> > > baby the truck. How is this possible? Have any of
> > you
> > > had a similar experience?
> > >
> > > Ed

It's entirely possible that they still look new at 48k because there are
documented cases of rear brakes simply not working on Dakotas. If you think
yours suffers from this, put it up on the hoist, carefully put it in gear,
then apply the brakes to make sure the rears are working. More than one Dak
owner has found they don't work at all, in one case after multiple attempts
to repair he got a buy back on his truck.

Bob