RE: Re: RE: Newbie drag questions

From: RayB (bpracing@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Mar 21 2003 - 04:09:41 EST

Yeah, that seems to vary from truck to truck. There are springs in the
valve body that control the shift points. If the springs are changed to get
the 1-2, 2-3 shift points at the same rpm, then the TV cable can be adjusted
for further fine tuning as it alters both shifts the same amount. What
you're doing is fine.

> I was also gonna suggest maybe leaving it in first for the launch, just so
> that the trans doesn't try to shift in case you get some
> wheelspin and have
> to let off a little, but pop things into 2nd once you get traction, but
> before the actual shift point. Just my theory, anyway.

Wheelspin?? <just kidding> I always go prepared with tires and suspension
setup to prevent that. :-) Not always practical for just the occasional
track visit. They way you suggest is fine. The reason I recommended
leaving it in Drive is due to the design of chrysler's older automatics
(pre-electronic units). The 1-2 shift involves fewer internal parts if left
in drive and you get a quicker/cleaner shift that's also more consistent.
As long as you shift to 2nd before it's due to shift itself you'll get most
of the benefits. For what it's worth, I've tried everything and mine is
quicker, faster and more consistent when left in drive. That didn't always
apply to older cars I raced.

RayB