RE: Clutch fan

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Fri Mar 21 2003 - 18:37:58 EST

The "Official" Tests:

Testing and Inspection

SPIN TEST
If the fan assembly free-wheels without drag (the fan blades will
revolve more than five turns when spun by hand), replace the fan drive.
This spin test must be performed when the engine is cool.

NOTE: For the following test, the cooling system must be in good
condition. It also will ensure against excessively high coolant
temperature.

FUNCTION TEST

Drill a 3.18 mm (1/8 inch) diameter hole in the top center of the fan
shroud.
Obtain a dial thermometer with an 8 inch stem (or equivalent). It should
have a range of -18配o 105蚓 (0配o 220蚌) . Insert thermometer through
the hole in the shroud. Be sure that there is adequate clearance from
the fan blades.
Connect a tachometer and an engine ignition timing light (timing light
is to be used as a strobe light).
Block the air flow through the radiator. Secure a sheet of plastic in
front of the radiator (or air conditioner condenser). Use tape at the
top to secure the plastic and be sure that the air flow is blocked.
Be sure that the air conditioner (if equipped) is turned off. WARNING:
USE EXTREME CAUTION WHEN THE ENGINE IS OPERATING. DO NOT STAND IN A
DIRECT LINE WITH THE FAN. DO NOT PUT YOUR HANDS NEAR THE PULLEYS, BELTS
OR FAN. DO NOT WEAR LOOSE CLOTHING.
Start the engine and operate at 2400 rpm . Within ten minutes the air
temperature (indicated on the dial thermometer) should be up to 88蚓
(190蚌) . Fan drive engagement should have started to occur at between
74配o 82蚓 (165配o 180蚌) . Engagement is distinguishable by a definite
increase in fan flow noise (roaring). The timing light also will
indicate an increase in the speed of the fan.
When the air temperature reaches 88蚓 (190蚌) , remove the plastic
sheet. Fan drive disengagement should have started to occur at between
57配o 79蚓 (135配o 175蚌) . A definite decrease of fan flow noise
(roaring) should be noticed. If not, replace the defective viscous fan
drive unit.