Summer Projects - Need opinions...

From: Kyle Vanditmars (kylevan@telus.net)
Date: Mon Mar 24 2003 - 03:44:16 EST

This got kinda long... oh well.

Being a university student, I'm going to be off for the summer, lolly
gaggin' about. ;-)

Other than working and riding my bike
(http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/photo/?op=list&keyselect=2&keyword=Kyle+Van
ditmars) I think I'm going to spend a bit of money on my truck - but not
tons - for things other than repairs and maintainence. I have a few ideas
so far.

I'm thinking of replacing the clutch fan with an electric unit to free up a
few ponies.

Going to the wrecker's, finding a Dak, swiping the TB, and playing around
with removing those giant pillars on the deck surface - I want to get
another TB just in case I screw up somehow.

A proper tube/fin transmission oil cooler, so that my 11-year-old A-500 will
last longer.

Those above are the ones I'm pretty much set on doing.

Finally, and depending on if the cashflow allows, I wouldn't mind swapping
to a Sure-Grip differential for the occasional two-tire fire. I have a
friend that works at a parts store and can get me discarded used tires for
$5 for two. :-) My question is whether it's worth my time to try to find a
diff at the wrecker's and rebuild it, or if I should just buy a new unit for
about $250 from Summit.

Anyway, I'm looking for recommendations on electric fans, trans coolers, and
the last bit about the diff.

Thanks guys,

Kyle