RE: Summer Projects - Need opinions...

From: RayB (bpracing@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Mon Mar 24 2003 - 11:12:05 EST

If that's your only motivation and your clutch fan is operating properly you
might want to save your money. I went to electric fans to enable quicker
cool down between rounds at the track but saw absolutely no difference in
performance.

> Going to the wrecker's, finding a Dak, swiping the TB, and playing around
> with removing those giant pillars on the deck surface -

Those "giant pillars" aren't going to hurt you all. I had the opportunity
last year to try a F&B 50mm billet TB for a couple months. I have a Hughes
cam, M1 2-bbl, headers, etc. and shift at 6000 rpm yet the F&B showed me no
gain over my mildly ported stock TB. Mine still had the original "pillars"
and was only machined to the full 50mm inside.

> A proper tube/fin transmission oil cooler, so that my 11-year-old
> A-500 will
> last longer.

Always a good choice. You might find one in the junkyard as I ordered my
Dak with the trailer towing pkg and it came with one. Otherwise, any of the
aftermarket ones would be fine.

> My question is whether it's worth my time to try
> to find a
> diff at the wrecker's and rebuild it, or if I should just buy a
> new unit for
> about $250 from Summit.
> Thanks guys,
> Kyle

I'd recommend going with a new unit. My Mopar parts manager friend says
there's no rebuild kit for the OEM units. I would recommend a synthetic
lube that contains the limited slip friction modifier.

RayB